Name: Phenias Kamanga
District: NAMWALA,
Southern Province
Age: 23
Marital Status:
Married with 2 daughters and a boy.
For
close to four years, I used to beat my wife. We fought a lot most probably
because we both used to abused alcohol. We fought about ridiculous things like
us suspicion and jealous issues. We didn’t respect nor trust each other. There
was a time when we fought the whole night because my wife wanted to grab my phone
and call all numbers in my phonebook. It’s shameful.
Joining
the I Care About Her! Campaign discussion group has changed my life especially
how I interact with women in my life. From the discussions, I am learning how
to manage my temper and avoid fighting with my wife. I used to lose my temper
over small arguments but now I am able to hold my temper, every time am provoked.
I have learnt to listen and not rush into beating my wife.
The
discussions with other men in the I Care About Her Men’s Group are engaging and
address real issues. They have helped me understand that there is no
justification for fighting and that women have rights and feelings just like men.
Two
years ago, a close friend here in Namwala was sentenced to prison for killing a
wife over the type of food she had cooked. This incident really shook me up and
was one of the reasons I sort to join the men’s discussion group.
I
know that had I not join the I Care About Her! Campaign, I would probably be in
prison right now. I am so thankful for this campaign and that it has been
rolled out in this district. The initiative is good because it has generated an
interesting debate among men in this community on the rights of our wives and
daughters.
Name: Crazy Shipopa
District: NAMWALA,
Southern Province
Age: 61
Marital Status:
Married with 5 daughters and a boy.
I am
trained champion of the I Care About Her campaign. My past is very colorful –
just very bad. I am ashamed to confess that I used to beat my wife and my
children. It got so bad that at one time, my in laws demanded that we break up
as a result of my cruelty. Luckily for me, the elders in our village counseled
me and the matter was resolved.
To
me, the introduction of the I Care About Her Discussion Group in Namwala was a
timely intervention. When I heard about the campaign, I asked the Facilitator
of the group if I could join and he welcomed me. I feel privileged to be one of
the first ones to be trained as a Champion.
The training
helped me to start reflecting on the image I had about women – what I have been
taught and what I believed. It took me about three days of introspection and
gradually, I begun to see to o see myself for what I was - not just a cruel man
but a cruel human being.
The training
changed me. Having the discussions with other men, the messages on the cards
and learning from men who don’t beat their wives helped me a lot. I felt
different like I was reborn. The training helped me understand that my wife and
women in general are just as important as I am. I wouldn’t want my daughters
abused by their husbands the way I was abusing their mother.
When
the training ended, I decided to start teaching other men about what I learnt.
I have my own group. When I began talking to my group members, I used to feel
embarrassed and guilty especially that some of the members in my focus group
are close friends who knew my past but I persevered.
One
day, my wife came across the I Care About Her discussion cards and asked me
what they were meant for. When I started explaining to her, her face brightened
up and her eyes filled with tears of joy. Today, my lifestyle and home has
really changed – we are very happy and it gives me great joy hear my children
laughing. My wife and I give our children equal responsibilities and make plans
together –like the monthly budget. When one of our children was ill, I took her
to the hospital. I never used to do that – I would leave that to my wife. I
have made my wife my companion not my property. Had it not been for the
knowledge I got from the I Care About Her training, I would not be the man I am
today – the man I have started to like and respect.
Name: JOHN JAMBA
District: NAMWALA,
Southern Province
Age: 61
Marital Status:
Married with 6 children and 5 grandchildren.
I joined
the I Care About Her! Campaign last year after being introduced to the men’s
discussion group by a friend because gender based violence is rife in my
community and it is a vice that has been growing but has not been dealt with
effectively. I have witnessed so many killings and family breakups as result of
GBV. This is one of the reasons I was compelled to be part of this initiative when it
was introduced in Namwala. I felt that I needed to play a role in creating a
better society for my grandchildren and the generation to come as a man.
This district has a lot of perpetrators of GBV and traditional beliefs such as
lobola (bride price) perpetuate it. We, the ILA people believe in huge payment
of lobola and this make us men to regard our wives as our possessions. We need
a lot of sensitization especially in the far flung places in Namwala district
and surrounding villages. A lot of bad acts are happening and they are
supported by the community as part of their way of life.
In this part of Namwala, the I Care About Her! Campaign has started to open up our minds. The discussions in the men’s group allow for a deeper understanding of women’s rights and our role as men and boys. Today, members of the discussion group are not involved in beating their spouses because they are not only held accountable but also understand that there better ways of resolving conflict. In fact, men who are not even part of our discussions come to consult us on how to handle issues in their homes or community.
However,
this is not the case in far flung villages. That’s why we need more support so
that we can plant one or two champions in each village.I
remember when we just started the discussions, most men our community used to
look down on us. They discouraged us from attending the meetings which were
held on a weekly basis. But I my commitment to ensure that my daughters and
grandchildren have a violent free future motive me to continue learning.
This
campaign is special and life changing because men are finally involved in what
is has always been perceived as women’s issues. This programme has the right
message and we intend to take this message to all the men and boys in the
district.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete